JOHN T. LAY, JR.
John T. Lay, Jr. has over 20 years of experience managing complex, high-stakes litigation for clients, and has tried more than 100 cases to verdict. He has also handled appeals at the SC Court of Appeals, the South Carolina Supreme Court, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. As a member of GWB’s Business and Commercial Practice Group, he focuses on business litigation, professional malpractice, insurance bad faith and coverage, financial services litigation, and product liability. Some of his most notable cases have included:
- Multi-million dollar class action suits
- Death and catastrophic injury product claims including pharmaceutical products
- Allegations involving professional negligence of doctors and lawyers
- High-profile business disputes between corporate interests
- Representation of lenders in multi-party financial fraud claims
- Insurance institutional bad faith litigation
John T. has extensive experience managing product liability litigation throughout the country. He is National Coordinating Counsel for a boat manufacturer. He has litigated business cases throughout the Southeast, and has also represented internet companies in business tort claims and in the enforcement of browse-wrap agreements.
In July 2016, John T. was named President of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), the preeminent invitation only legal organization for attorneys who represent corporate and insurance interests throughout the world. He will serve as President until July 2017. John T. is a member of the Board of Directors of the IADC, the Defense Research Institute (DRI), and Lawyers for Civil Justice (LCJ), and a Delegate of The American Civil Trial Bar Roundtable.
John T. also has an interest in cultivating legal talent and has developed a broad background in teaching trial techniques. He has taught trial advocacy at the University of South Carolina School of Law and led the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Trial Academy for three years. In 2009, John T. was a faculty member for International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy at Stanford University.
John T. has an exemplary reputation as a service oriented attorney. Throughout his career, John T. has acquired the level of understanding necessary to be conscientious of the needs of clients and to continuously exceed their expectations. John T. believes that responsiveness, attention to detail, and character will always produce the highest level of client service.
“John Lay is described by market sources as a “very skillful” practitioner. He undertakes a variety of class action litigation as well as mass torts, catastrophic injury and professional negligence matters.” - Chambers USA
- Kelly Edrington – Secretary
- Missie Urch – Paralegal
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- South Carolina Chapter, President 2015
- The American Civil Trial Bar Roundtable
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Council on Litigation Management
- Defense Research Institute
- Board of Directors
- Commercial Litigation Committee
- Product Liability Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- President (2016-2017)
- President-Elect (2015-2016)
- Board of Directors (2012-2015)
- Chair of the Business Litigation Committee
- Member of Product Liability & Trial Tactics Committees
- John B. O’Neill Inn of Court
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- Board of Directors
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Richland County Bar
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- Past President